Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why I Volunteer

I volunteer a few hours at the Wheelchair Recycling center, every month. While there, I think about my father, whose memory inspired me to choose that particular volunteer opportunity.

My dad was a paraplegic. But, before you say "Aw, that's sad..." let me tell you that he was the strongest, most "able" man I've ever known. He was successful in business, and an avid sportsman. But, what I loved most about him was his desire to help those less fortunate than himself. I remember one day he received a telephone call from someone searching for a chairlift. People called him often about equipment, as he had a lot of sources. This lift was needed for an elderly woman who had no way to pay for one. We had one on our basement stairs, there in case of tornado...literally the only thing my dad was afraid of. But, the next day, I helped him take it down and drive 100 miles to install it. He wouldn't take any money for it and I don't think I've ever seen such gratitude as I did on that woman's face. I think I was about 11 years old, at the time. That was just one of so many acts of kindness I grew up witnessing.

This is where I learned compassion and the true spirit of giving...and this is what I want to pass on to as many people as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Your Dad sounds incredibly strong and inspirational. It's great that you are carrying on a fine tradition :)

    ReplyDelete